Monday, March 21, 2005

IIM-C GD/PI



IIM-C GD/PI

Venue: IIM- B

Date: 16 March 05

Time: 2:00 pm

IIM-C logistics were: 4 Panels with 3 Professors in each panel; probably one was an alumnus, but they did not introduce themselves so not sure. Total size of candidates for a panel was 10; by far the biggest group.

The topic for discussion was “Desire is the root of all suffering”. Pretty descent GD, everybody got a chance to speak. This was my best performance so far. Came in 7-8 times, gave good examples and spoke well. After the GD we were asked to summarize, guess it was in ascending order of performance in the GD. I was the 3rd last person to summarize.

After GD we were asked to wait outside and come in the order of our sitting arrangement. Surprisingly, they didn’t take our forms. They were going through it during the interview only. I didn’t like this part. Anyway, I was the second person for interview so didn’t have to wait for long.

My panel had an old prof (OP), a jovial lady (JL), and a young alumnus (YA).

OP : Please come in and lock the door.

JL: takes my form and is going through it, recounts that I am from NIT Bhopal, confirms my specialization is CSE. OP is also looking at the form.

OP : You have been in TCS. What were you working on?

Me : TCS BioInformatics division; BioSuite;

OP : What is genome?

Me : Blueprint of life… Sequence of ATGC..

OP : Is it just a sequence of ATGC.. Ok what is Chromosome..

Me : Genome is divided into chromosomes.. Human beings have 24 Chromosomes this makes the genome..

OP : So what is Genome ??? smiles..

Me : Yes sir, Genome is collection of chromosomes..

JL : How is working with TCS..

Me: I like the experience a lot.. lots of learning and all…talk something about human genome project..

OP : How many genes are there in humans..

Me : 20,000 – 25,000..which is surprising as the same number as mouse..

OP : how many were estimated..

Me : Well I don’t have the exact figure but in our training we were told that it was 4 times the current number..

JL : You had a nine month long training.. this is the same training that TCS advertised some 3 years back..

Me: Yes mam, the same.. we had some domain and some software training..

JL : so did you like it..

Me : Actually mam initially I hated biology ( why did I say that).. but after training I really liked it.. (My answer must have unnerved her.. at least that is what I made out of her reaction)…

JL: What is the future of biotech in India..

Me: Great future.. I see lots of firms coming up.. working in coordination with big firms.. but one problem will be lack of personnel… we just have one IISc.. but for engineering we have so many IITs .. so trained people will be a big problem..

YA : What model will succeed in biotech..

Me : Small firms working on particular lines .. tie-ups with big firms.. this is what is working in US..

YA : yes but this is in US.. what about in India?

Me: Yes I think this should work in India also.. as large firms are able to mitigate risks..

YA : Then what happens to small firms..

Me: (didn’t give a convincing reply.. said that small firms are focused .. phd’s and people with research background working so chances of failure less..)

YA : What is the status of venture capital in India..

Me: Well I know that 3 of the top ten US venture capitalists are from India.. but I don’t have the figures.. (Another low point in the interview)

JL : Yashodeep you seem to be lot in favor of open source and against patents.. so tell me from where will incentive for innovation come from..

Me : Actually patents are bad for software.. (start discussing about how software is about ideas.. and how patents harm innovation..)

JL : Yes that’s alright but where is the incentive for innovation..

Me : history shows that patents are not necessary for innovation in software.. even before patents software firms were innovating.. and to remain competitive firms will have to innovate … so the market will provide the incentive and for protection we have copyrights..

YA : You seem to be interested in research.. so why don’t you do a phd..

Me: At present I want to be in industry.. gain more knowledge.. May be I will go for phd after 10 years..

YA : you are 25 now so after 10 years you will be 35.. add to it 5 years for phd.. you will be 40 then.. so what effect will you have …(starts reading the open-source line where I had written about doing research in open-source..)

Me: Yes… but… then… I will write some papers.. and I want to work on business aspects …

YA : you can do a phd in management..

Me : yes .. not now… we need people working in fields…

(this goes on for 2-3 minutes.. JL also asks something on the same line.. and finally they put me out of my misery by saying ok you may go now..)

OP : Is this your first attempt..

Me : yes.. (for all practical purpose..)

OP : Which calls?

Me : ABCK..

OP : Ok thank you..

I come out relieved. Overall it was a good experience. Two mistakes on my side, and couldn’t give them a convincing answer about research. But am still happy because I did well in GD and could lead them to asking me about open-source and patents – achieved this by good answers to just two questions on the form!





Post a Comment