Tuesday, April 26, 2005

The Book!



On Friday I was at Walden browsing through books, looking out for something interesting. It must have been around 6:30 pm, and I was in a hurry to meet a friend at 7:00 pm. Having found a book, I ended the search, and made my way to the payment counter.

Just when the cashier was about to attend me, someone barged in and shouted, "What the f*** is this?" I was surprised at hearing the f-word in a bookshop and hence turned back and looked for the person. He was tall, stockily built and was sporting a french-beard. He was carrying a hardbound book in his hands. He looked more bewildered than angry.

I tuned into the conversation.

"All the pages in this book are blank. Why?” he asked. I turned the pages myself. Every page was blank, unmarked, its glossy shine intact.

"Sir this is a surprise copy. The author left it blank for the reader to fill it", cashier replied.

"Well, I am not interested in filling the damn book. You just return it and give me my money".

Now I couldn't believe that the author was playing a prank. May be, I thought, there is some surprise gift with this copy. But the cashier replied in the negative.

While the cashier was returning him money I glanced at the title of the book. The book, which was in his hand, was titled "Everything men want to know about women!"

Fittingly left blank.




Post a Comment